Car care tip of the week. How do you minimize swirls while washing your car? As an Overland Park/Kansas City auto detailing shop we see a lot of automatic carwash scratches and swirls. The local gas station carwash is the car equivalent of eating at McDonalds. Some people are okay with scarfing down some Mickey D’s but even they know that it is bad for their health. So if fast food can be likened to the local car wash, what kind of car wash would organic healthy food be likened to? Well, glade you asked.
There is no way around it. A good hand wash, rinse and dry may be the only way. That seems like a lot of work for some while for others it is a challenge they would gladly take on for the sake of their expensive car. If hand washing your car seems like a major drag to have to do, don’t worry, we have a third option for you. So skip the next few paragraphs to get to the good stuff! If the hand wash route is something that excites you, read through the rest of this article because the third option will be an amazing treat for you also.
A good hand wash starts with a few products. If you don’t feel like having to find and gather up all of the following items, don’t worry because we offer maintenance kits with all of the supplies you will need. Here is a basic list:
- Two buckets
- Two microfiber washing mitts
- PH balanced car soap
- Hose and water supply
- Wheel cleaner
- Wheel brushes
- Bug and tar remover
- Two microfiber drying towels
The system is simple and quick once you get used to it. The biggest time consumer is trying to think about what to do next. This system will take the guess work out of the hand wash:
- Fill up the buckets with water and put soap in one of them.
- Rinse your car off with water
- Spray one of the wheels with wheel cleaner, use the wheel brushes to really get the details and then rinse the wheel of with a hose. Repeat with the remaining wheels.
- Spray the bug and tar remover on the bugs and tar then use your first wash mitt to gently wipe the bugs and tar off. Make sure your not in direct sun while you do this step.
- Take the other microfiber mitt, dip it in the bucket with the soap water and start washing a top section of your car. Use left-right and up-down motions but do not use circular motions.
- Once that section is cleaned, take your mitt and clean it off in the bucket that doesn’t have soap in it, ring the mitt out and then dip it back in the bucket that has clean water and soap.
- Repeat these steps and continue washing your car from the top to the bottom.
- Now rinse and dry your car off using the microfiber drying towel.
It may seem like a lot of work but if your are doing this on a regular basis you will be able to get your car all washed up in about 15 to 20 minutes.
The other option will be to use a brushless automatic carwash. These work okay if your keeping up on your car. They do use slightly harsher chemicals to get the car clean. Your waxes will have a significantly shorter life span. But that is true for both the brush and brushless car washes. There is an even better way that will excite those who don’t want to worry about hand washing or detailing their car and those who do. Plus, this third option will keep your cleaner in-between auto detailing and car washing.
The third option works great in combination with the first and the and second options. Have us perform our two year anti-static paint coating car detail. This looks like a high-gloss wax but it lasts two years and is not effected by most of the automatic car wash chemicals. That means that this wax-like coating will last two years of brushless automatic car washing and detailing. One of the best parts about this detailing coating is its anti-static characteristics. It seals up all of the pores of your paint and helps to keep dirt from sticking to your wheels, plastic, paint, chrome and rubber. This means that you don’t have to clean or detail your car as often and your car will look freshly detailed for a longer period of time. Plus, it looks absolutely stunning.
Those who like to wash and detail their own cars will often be able to just pressure rinse their car off by themselves and achieve great results. And, it makes hand washing and detailing your car a whole lot easier. And those who don’t have the desire, time or energy to perform their own car detailing and hand wash, this is the perfect option. Save time by not having to go to the car wash or auto detailing shop as often and have your car look absolutely amazing when you do decide to go to the local car wash or auto detailing shop. Plus, this coating increases your scratch resistance by 50%. You will save a ton of time and you will definitely save money by not having to wash and detail your car as often.
KC Detailing is the choice for auto detailing in the Kansas City, Leawood, KS, Overland Park, KS and surrounding areas. There isn’t anyone else offering this service so setup your appointment today. Go to our youtube channel to see some of the cars that we have performed this service on! KC Detailing Youtube Channel